Thanksgiving Week Volunteering
During Thanksgiving Week, Bowery Mission volunteers will prepare and serve more than 10,000 meals for men, women, and children in all five boroughs of New York City. On Thanksgiving Day, volunteers will serve guests in our century-old chapel, decorated for the occasion, where each guest will receive a turkey dinner, a new coat and a blessing bag of winter clothes and hygiene items.
This is our busiest week of the year, and we want as many people as possible to have an opportunity to serve. Please help us to make room for everyone by doing the following:
- Sign up for only one volunteer opportunity during Thanksgiving Week using the button below. (Unfortunately, multiple registrations by one individual will be cancelled.)
- Make sure each and every person in your group is signed up individually. During Thanksgiving Week, we are not able to accept single reservations for an entire group.
- If you find that you cannot participate on the date/time for which you signed up, please edit your registration and/or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This way, someone else may use your spot. Unfortunately, you may not transfer your registration to another date/time.
Thank you for your cooperation, which makes it possible for as many people as possible to serve.
Unless otherwise indicated on the registration page, all meals will be served at 227 Bowery.
You can help make a difference in other ways
1. Make a Financial Donation to help provide meals
Last year, The Bowery Mission served more than 8,000 meals to men, women and children on Thanksgiving day alone. On a typical day, we serve over 1,000. Each meal costs us $1.59 to serve – and it could be the first step toward transforming a life. Your generous support makes all of this possible. You can make a secure donation online or you can donate by phone or mail.
2. Fundraise for the homeless
You can feed hundreds of homeless and hungry people this Thanksgiving! By joining our Red Door Hunger Drive, you are able to multiply your support for The Bowery Mission. Personal and team fundraising pages are available.
3. Donate Food
Thanksgiving Week requires 600 turkeys, 3,500 pounds of potatoes, 3,820 pounds of sweet potatoes, and 1,160 pounds of vegetables. You can drop off your food donations at The Bowery Mission (directions), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until November 17. We do not typically do pickups, but if you have an extraordinarily large donation of the items above, please call (212) 674-3456 and ask for the Operations Manager on duty.
4. Donate Blessing Bags
In addition to a delicious meal, we want to give every single Thanksgiving guest a practical Thanksgiving gift. We will package personal-size hygiene items and cold weather clothing necessities into “Blessing Bags.” View a list of items needed for Blessings Bags.
You can drop off items or bags at The Bowery Mission (directions), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until November 24. We do not typically do pickups, but if you have an extraordinarily large donation of the items above, please call (212) 674-3456 and ask for the Operations Manager on duty.
5. Volunteer at Another Time
Thanksgiving Week is a popular time to volunteer, but The Bowery Mission depends on volunteers all year-round to prepare meals, tutor residents, or lend a specific skill. Find out more about volunteering year-round.