To be the most effective provider of compassionate care and life transformation for hurting people in New York City.
Volunteers are encouraged to maintain a high standard of integrity and professionalism when relating with Community Members. (Community Members are defined as any person who benefits from any ministries of The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp as a participant in any program including but not limited to clients, residents of The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp facilities, children attending camps or after-school programs, families, "community men" and "program men.")
- Volunteers are not to spend time alone with one Community Member. Volunteers should always be in the sight of others.
- Volunteers are not to initiate or allow anyone to have physical contact with community members without staff advisement and the permission of the Community Member.
- Volunteers are asked not to share personal contact details such as home address or phone number with Community Members.
- All personal information about Community Members is strictly confidential except when a Community Member shares information about matters with legal consequences such as someone being in danger or endangering others. In this case, volunteers must report the information to the staff person in charge.
- Our programs are violence-free and drug-free environments. Volunteers are not to smoke, drink, use drugs or carry any type of weapons on site.
- Volunteers are to engage in gracious and edifying conversation. Volunteers do not swear.
- As The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp is a faith-based organization, volunteers are asked not to present or promote a worldview that is in opposition to the Judeo-Christian worldview that is the very fabric of our ministries.
- Harassment of any kind is not permitted and will be subject to disciplinary action by The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp.
- The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp are not responsible for the personal property of volunteers.
- Volunteers are not to engage in a private transaction involving gifts, services or money with any Community Member. Any gifts should be directed to or channeled through the organization. Volunteers may not accept money or gifts from Community Members for services rendered.
- Volunteers must wear clothing that is deemed modest by staff. Do not wear revealing or tight-fitting clothes. No tank, tube, halter or midriff tops, muscle shirts or short shorts.
- Closed-toe shoes must be worn in the kitchen for safety reasons.
- Clothing worn by volunteers must not portray alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, sexual or violent themes.
- Volunteers are not authorized to use the Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp phones, stationery, supplies and equipment for purposes not specifically related to the volunteer opportunity.
- Volunteers are not authorized to identify themselves with the Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp, or attempt to use their position to gain credibility for political purposes or illicit personal gain.
Established in 1878, The Christian Herald Association (CHA) and its associated programs, The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp, present Jesus Christ and His teachings, believing them to be essential for a "positive life outcome" in the lives of our community members. We have never officially affiliated with or endorsed a particular denomination. Furthermore, services are provided to all regardless of their beliefs. Nonetheless, some of our volunteer opportunities, such as leading a chapel service, which occur in certain programs, require volunteers to have a Christian worldview.
Photographic Image and Description Release
By completing and submitting this volunteer application, this applicant/leader represents that I and all leaders/members of this and future volunteer groups brought in under this application give permission to Christian Herald Association, Inc. (dba The Bowery Mission, Mont Lawn Camp and City Camp) to use any photographic images which may be taken of us, and used with or without accompanying, descriptive narrative. These images may be used in promotional materials including, but not limited to, letters, brochures, newsletters and video clips. I and said group leaders/members understand that such materials are developed for public relations and/or fundraising purposes to support the various services and ministries which Christian Herald Association, Inc., provides to help homeless and needy people in New York City. This applicant/leader represents that I and said group leaders/members freely waive any payment of fees for use of such images and narrative, and hold Christian Herald Association, Inc., and any of its component parts or employees, free and harmless concerning the use of such images and narrative.
By completing and submitting this volunteer application, I hereby certify that all the information included in this application and any attachments is true and complete.
I hereby authorize the Christian Herald Association (CHA) to solicit any references provided in connection with my application. Furthermore, I hereby authorize the references to provide a reference in connection with my application and release them from any liability in regard to the same.
I hereby promise that I agree and have secured agreement from any members of my group to release and hold harmless CHA, its employees, agents and volunteers, for, but not limited to, all illness, harm, loss, accidents, personal injury or property damage suffered by myself or said members of my group as a result of involvement with CHA, its employees or contracted agents and its related entities and all associated programs. In entering into this agreement, I do so on behalf of myself and any members of my group and our heirs, estates, personal representatives, and assignees. I am aware that volunteering with CHA may be hazardous in nature. I agree to participate with full knowledge of the risks and dangers involved and I agree to accept any and all such risks and dangers.
I affirm that I and any members of my group have neither been convicted of, nor am I or any members of my group subject to pending charges for any felony offence or any other offence involving actual or attempted child abuse or sexual molestation.
I have read and understood the goals and values of the CHA and I and any members of my group agree to adhere to the stated Volunteer Guidelines. I and any members of my group understand that this application is not, nor is intended to be, an offer of employment. I and any members of my group understand that I/we will receive no remuneration in connection with any volunteer services performed by me.
I have carefully read this agreement, understand its contents, and agree to be bound by its terms.