For 135 years, The Bowery Mission has been called to minister to men, women, and children caught in the cycles of poverty, hopelessness and dependencies of many kinds, and to see their lives transformed to hope, joy, lasting productivity and eternal life through the power of Jesus Christ. Our goal is be the most effective provider of compassionate care and life transformation for hurting people in New York City. Currently we are at nine locations in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Pennsylvania.
In addition to paid positions, The Bowery Mission also has many volunteer opportunities available.
Clinical Coordinator, Men's Transitional Center, Lower East Side
Due to the number of applications we receive, ONLY completed applications will be reviewed. We are only able to respond to qualified candidates who are selected for the interview process.
The Bowery Mission Transitional Center (BMTC)
Because homelessness is often a symptom of a deeper rooted problem, issues such as trauma, severed relationships and cognitive distortions are often precursory. The financial and occupational difficulties found in the homeless populations frequently find their origin in psychological and sociological dysfunction. With this considered, the Clinical Coordinator has the integral role of attending to the underlying mental health issues of Bowery Mission Transition Center (BMTC) clients. BMTC serves up to 77 formerly homeless men and recognizes the impact proper mental health treatment has in the process of life transformation.
The Clinical Coordinator works closely with our Interim Director overseeing all clinical aspects of the transitional program. The Clinical Coordinator provides individual counseling with residents identified with mental health issues, obtains referrals for specialized care and housing, and communicates mental health concerns to multiple departments in order to provide the appropriate level of care.
- Oversee all clinical aspects of the program including psychological and medical referrals, medical and psychiatric emergencies, and review of medication logs.
- Respond to medical/psychiatric emergencies via phone or in person as needed.
- Coordinate client escort to referrals as needed.
- Key member of the BMTC Leadership Team which includes Social Services Director, Operations Director and Housing Specialist.
- Carry caseload of approximately 8-12 residents:
- Assess resident upon entering program.
- Acquaint residents with the BMTC rules, regulations and policies.
- Develop resident's treatment plan towards the goals of life transformation.
- Schedule weekly individual meetings with resident—providing ongoing supportive counseling and exploring underlying causes of homelessness.
- Maintain and update all documentation in resident files, including progress notes, assessments, contracts, and income and savings information.
- Provide clinical guidance to staff and meet with additional residents presenting with mental health concerns.
- Conduct and manage staff trainings.
- Complete supportive housing applications (includes 2010e applications) and collaborate with Housing Specialist for housing interview process.
- Conduct weekly group-meeting focusing on topics such as: Healthy Relationships, Relapse Prevention and Stress Management.
- Submit written reports at the request of Director.
- Assist Social Services Director in reviewing casefiles for compliance.
- Maintain and develop community referrals.
Reports to: Interim Director
- Master's Degree in Mental Health Counseling, Social Work or other Social Service field
- Eligibility for NY State license in a Social Service field
- 2 years related work experience
- Leadership and administrative skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Creative approach to engaging residents and problem-solving
- NY State Licensure in a Social Service profession
- Demonstrated ability to create and conduct multimedia presentations
For your application to be considered complete, please email the following to HR@Bowery.org with "Men's Clinical Coordinator" in the subject line:
- Brief Cover letter
- One page writing sample outlining your approach to motivating a hopeless and homeless individual to seek life transformation.
No calls please.