Join us in our work to empower others! Without friends like you, The Bowery Mission simply could not meet the needs of people experiencing homelessness and hunger in the New York metro area. Serve a meal, tutor and mentor clients, offer a special or professional skill. You can make an impact in someone's life today.
As The Bowery Mission cares for our most vulnerable neighbors in the face of COVID-19, we are supported by volunteers in activities adjusted for social distancing and safety.
Volunteers must be healthy to serve. You should not volunteer if you or someone in your household:
- Have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- Have experienced any cold or flu-like symptoms or gastrointestinal issues in the last 14 days (for a full list of symptoms click here.)
- Have been in contact with a person diagnosed with or showing symptoms of COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- Have traveled outside the New York metro area within the last 14 days and have not received a negative COVID-19 test within three to five days of the volunteer shift you have signed up for.
What to Know About On-site Volunteering
We are taking every measure to limit the spread of COVID-19 and protect the health and safety of our staff, guests and volunteers. However, due to the asymptomatic nature of many COVID-19 cases, and the community spread in NYC, please be aware that exposure to the virus is possible on-site. If you are comfortable volunteering on-site with us, we thank you!
We have put in place important safety measures to limit meaningful exposure between individuals while on site. We ask that you help us maintain the following measures:
- Keep six feet of distance between yourself and others as much as possible.
- ALWAYS wear your mask, completely covering your mouth and nose.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Do not make physical contact with anyone else.
Register online to volunteer
We Love our Volunteers!
Volunteers served more than 16,000 shifts
Volunteers prepared and served more than 429,500 meals
Through the efforts of our volunteers and staff, we served over 7,100 people
Volunteers donated more than 46,100 hours of their time. That much time is equivalent to over 5 years or over $1.5 million dollars in value
"I get to serve the community, make them smile, feed them a meal that they potentially otherwise would not receive. It's such a humbling experience....This is the community's safe spot, the one place they can come to and know that they're okay."
— Tabatha, volunteer during COVID-19
Resources & Other Opportunities
Get answers and see guidelines for volunteering
Besides serving, you can support financially
Since the 1870s, The Bowery Mission has served New Yorkers experiencing homelessness, hunger and other crises. Each meal and every service is an invitation to residential and community programs that help clients make progress towards individual goals such as regaining sobriety, reconnecting with family and faith, and preparing for work and independent living. To empower children to thrive and succeed, we also offer year-round opportunities for enrichment for youth.
Learn about more ways to get involved, visit www.bowery.org/get-involved