When you donate clothing, food and other goods to The Bowery Mission, you impact the lives of the poor and homeless in the New York metro area. Last year, our donors and volunteers helped the Mission provide more than 653,500 meals and 46,400 articles of clothing to men, women and children in desperate need of help.
We have listed below our commonly needed items. Due to our program needs and space restrictions, we also list items that we can't accept. We generally cannot accept any items that are broken, damaged or unclean/worn.
We gratefully accept donations Monday – Saturday, 7am – 7pm at the front desk of our Bowery campus (227 Bowery) in Manhattan. If you have any questions regarding your donation, please email email@example.com.
If you drop off the item(s) in person, you will be given an in-kind gift receipt that describes the donation. If the value exceeds $500 and you claim the donation on your federal tax return, you may be required to file IRS Form 8283 and obtain an appraisal of the value.
Thank you for considering a gift-in-kind donation to The Bowery Mission to help our neighbors in need.
Clean clothes provide a great deal of relief to a neighbor experiencing homelessness. After being out on the streets or in the subways, our guests feel a sense of restored dignity from a change of clothing. Donations of professional attire also help our guests who are interviewing for jobs.
- Men's clothing & shoes (clean, new/gently used). Most needed items include jeans; professional clothing and shoes; and new underwear, undershirts (large sizes) and socks.
- Women's clothing (clean and new only)
- Winter season: coats, jackets, hats, gloves and scarves
- Used men's underwear, undershirts or socks
- Used women's clothing or shoes
- Baby or children's clothing or shoes
Thanks to the generosity of individuals and corporate donors, The Bowery Mission serves nearly 1,800 meals every day to the homeless and poor in the New York metro area. Your donations of food help make this possible.
- Canned and non-perishable
- Prepared foods (fresh and sealed)
- Fresh fruits & vegetables
- Food that is partially open, used or eaten
Donating Other Items
- Linens (new or gently used): bath towels, face cloths, twin-size sheets (not larger sizes), blankets and standard size pillowcases
- Hygiene Items (new, travel size items preferred): soap, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razors and feminine hygiene products
- Furniture: couches, dressers, dining tables, chairs, bookcases, desks, coffee tables
- Mattresses or bed frames
- Appliances: refrigerators, freezers, microwaves
- Kitchenware/Housewares: plates, bowls, silverware, glassware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, lamps
- Pillows or comforters
- Office aupplies
- TVs, computers or electronic devices
- Baby items
Donating Blessing Bags
We are always able to utilize personal size hygiene items and cold weather clothing necessities for the community we serve. During the Thanksgiving season, we make a special appeal for these items and package them into "Blessing Bags"—a practical gift for each of our Thanksgiving guests who are homeless or in-need. We prepare over 2,000 Blessing Bags for Thanksgiving Day alone!
Essential items for Thanksgiving Blessing Bags
- Travel-size liquid soap
- Travel-size shampoo
- Travel-size deodorant
- Travel-size toothpaste
- Travel-size shaving cream
- Underwear (preferably L-XXL sizes)
- Socks (white and black)
- Baby wipes
- Travel-size mouthwash (non-alcoholic)
- Nail clippers
Any contributions to this end are greatly appreciated! Donations can be brought to The Bowery Mission at 227 Bowery. Delivery the week before Thanksgiving would be optimal. If you will be dropping off a significant quantity, please call ahead (212-674-3456) to advise Megan Stoll, our Logistics Manager.
Hosting a Food or Clothing Drive
If you are considering a clothing drive at your organization, workplace, school, or congregation, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will work with you to launch a successful drive that will bless those we serve.
Find out other ways to donate