Coronavirus (COVID-19) Gift-in-kind Needs
We are continuing to accept gift-in-kind donations during the COVID-19 pandemic. We can ONLY accept items listed below. Please note: This page is updated regularly with any changes to our policies or hours, and we encourage you to check back before preparing a donation.
Thank you for your interest in helping our community.
When you donate clothing, food and other goods to The Bowery Mission, you impact the lives of people struggling with homelessness and poverty in the New York metro area. Thank you for considering a gift-in-kind donation to The Bowery Mission to help our neighbors in need.
Please see below for items we accept, as well as items we cannot accept due to program needs or space restrictions.
Please note: The Bowery location experiences peak traffic between 8 a.m. – 9 a.m., 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. each day. If you arrive during these times, we would appreciate your patience at the front desk until an associate is available to receive your donation.
If you drop off the item(s) in person, you will be given an in-kind gift receipt that describes the donation. If the value exceeds $500 and you claim the donation on your federal tax return, you may be required to file IRS Form 8283 and obtain an appraisal of the value.
If you have any questions regarding your donation, please email [email protected].
Clean clothes provide a great deal of relief to a neighbor experiencing homelessness. After being out on the streets or in the subways, our guests feel a sense of restored dignity from a change of clothing. Donations of professional attire also help our guests who are interviewing for jobs.
Currently this summer season, we gratefully accept clothing donations only Saturday - Monday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. at the front desk at our Bowery (227 Bowery) campus. Please check back here for updates. If you are a company looking to donate new clothing, please email [email protected]. Thank you for your interest in helping our community.
- Men's clothing & shoes
(clean, new/gently used, medium to XXXL sizes): Most needed items include jeans, casual and professional clothing and shoes, underwear (new only), undershirts (large sizes) and socks
- Women's clothing & shoes
(clean and NEW ONLY, medium to XXXL sizes): Most needed items include jeans, casual and professional clothing and shoes, underwear, bras and socks.
- Winter season: coats, jackets, hats, gloves and scarves
Thanks to the generosity of individuals and corporate donors, The Bowery Mission serves over 1,000 meals every day to New Yorkers experiencing homelessness and food insecurity. Your donations of food help make this possible. We gratefully accept food donations Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. at both our Bowery (227 Bowery) or Tribeca (90 Lafayette St) campuses.
- Grab & go meals
- Pre-packaged sandwiches & salads, pre-packaged snacks
- Canned & non-perishable
- Prepared foods (fresh and sealed)
- Fresh fruits & vegetables
- Fresh & frozen meats
- Sandwich supplies (sliced bread or rolls, peanut butter, jelly, deli meat (sliced), sliced cheese, condiments)
- Water bottles
- Herbs & spices
- Cooking oil
- Sauces, salad dressing & condiments
- Food supplies (disposable cutlery, to-go bags (paper and plastic), take-away containers (new))
- Hygiene items (new, travel-size only): hand sanitizer, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, nail clippers, razors, baby/body wipes and feminine hygiene products (only in unopened, fully sealed outer packaging — individual pieces cannot be accepted)
- Disposable/sanitary gloves: latex or non-latex, all sizes (new/unopened boxes)
- Masks (N95 masks)
- Linens (new): twin-size sheets (not larger sizes), blankets and standard size pillowcases
- Bath towels & face cloths (new or gently used)
- Household items: dish soap, sponges, scrub brushes, paper towels, trash bags, mops, brooms, dust pans, hand soap, Clorox wipes, bleach, cleaning spray, disinfectant, oven cleaner
- Furniture: couches, dressers, dining tables, chairs, bookcases, desks, coffee tables
- Appliances: refrigerators, freezers, microwaves
- Kitchenware/Housewares: plates, bowls, silverware, glassware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, lamps
- Office supplies
- TVs, computers or electronic devices
- Mattresses or bed frames
- Pillows, comforters or duvet covers
- Sleeping bags
- Baby items
- Kids clothing
Donating Practical Care Kits
We are always able to utilize personal size hygiene items for the community we serve. We gratefully accept Practical Care Kit donations Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. at our Bowery (227 Bowery) or Tribeca (90 Lafayette St) campuses. If you or your group are considering a project to create Practical Care Kits during the holiday season or year round, please contact [email protected].
Suggested Items for Practical Care Kits
- Travel-size liquid soap
- Travel-size shampoo
- Travel-size deodorant
- Travel-size toothpaste
- Travel-size shaving cream
- Underwear (preferably L-XXL sizes)
- Socks (white and black)
- Baby wipes
- Travel-size mouthwash (non-alcoholic)
- Nail clippers
Hosting a Food or Clothing Drive
If you are considering a food or clothing drive at your organization, workplace, school or congregation, please let us know by emailing [email protected]. We will work with you to launch a successful drive that will bless those we serve.
For Large Quantities: If you would like to make a donation equivalent to 10 or more bags/boxes of items, please contact us 1-2 weeks in advance so our staff is expecting your drop off or delivery.
Find out other ways to donate