When you donate clothing, food and other goods to The Bowery Mission, you impact the lives of people struggling with homelessness and poverty in the New York metro area. Thank you for considering a gift-in-kind donation to The Bowery Mission to help our neighbors in need.
Please see below for items we accept, as well as items we cannot accept due to program needs or space restrictions.
Please note: The Bowery location experiences peak traffic between 8am - 9am, 1pm - 2pm, and 6pm - 7pm each day. If you arrive during these times, we would appreciate your patience at the front desk until an associate is available to receive your donation.
If you drop off the item(s) in person, you will be given an in-kind gift receipt that describes the donation. If the value exceeds $500 and you claim the donation on your federal tax return, you may be required to file IRS Form 8283 and obtain an appraisal of the value.
If you have any questions regarding your donation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clean clothes provide a great deal of relief to a neighbor experiencing homelessness. After being out on the streets or in the subways, our guests feel a sense of restored dignity from a change of clothing. Donations of professional attire also help our guests who are interviewing for jobs. We gratefully accept clothing donations Monday – Saturday, 7am – 4pm at the front desk of our Bowery campus (227 Bowery) in Manhattan.
- Men's clothing & shoes
(clean, new/gently used, medium to XXXL sizes). Most needed items include jeans; casual and professional clothing and shoes; and new underwear, undershirts (large sizes) and socks.
- Women's clothing & shoes
(clean, new/gently used, medium to XXXL sizes). Most needed items include jeans; casual and professional clothing and shoes; and new underwear and bras and socks.
- Winter season: coats, jackets, hats, gloves and scarves
Thanks to the generosity of individuals and corporate donors, The Bowery Mission serves over 1,500 meals every day to the homeless and poor in the New York metro area. Your donations of food help make this possible. We gratefully accept food donations Monday – Saturday, 7am – 7pm at both our Bowery (227 Bowery) or Tribeca (90 Lafayette St) campuses.
- Canned and non-perishable
- Prepared foods (fresh and sealed)
- Fresh fruits & vegetables
- Fresh & frozen meats
- Water Bottles
- Herbs & spices
- Cooking oil
- Sauces, salad dressing & condiments
- Pre-packaged snacks
- Hygiene items (new, travel-size only): body wash, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving cream, razors and feminine hygiene products (only in unopened, fully sealed outer packaging; individual pieces cannot be accepted)
- Linens (new): twin-size sheets (not larger sizes), blankets and standard size pillowcases
- Bath towels and face cloths (new or gently used)
- Household items: dish soap, sponges, scrub brushes, paper towels, trash bags, mops, brooms, dust pans, hand soap, Lysol wipes, bleach, oven cleaner
- Furniture: couches, dressers, dining tables, chairs, bookcases, desks, coffee tables
- Appliances: refrigerators, freezers, microwaves
- Kitchenware/Housewares: plates, bowls, silverware, glassware, cooking utensils, pots and pans, lamps
- Office supplies
- TVs, computers or electronic devices
- Mattresses or bed frames
- Pillows, comforters or duvet covers
- Sleeping bags
- Baby items
- Kids clothing
Donating Practical Care Kits
We are always able to utilize personal size hygiene items for the community we serve. We gratefully accept Practical Care Kit donations Monday – Saturday, 7am – 4pm at our Bowery (227 Bowery) or Tribeca (90 Lafayette St) campuses. If you or your group are considering a project to create Practical Care Kits during the holiday season or year round, please contact email@example.com.
Essential items for Practical Care Kits
- Travel-size liquid soap
- Travel-size shampoo
- Travel-size deodorant
- Travel-size toothpaste
- Travel-size shaving cream
- Underwear (preferably L-XXL sizes)
- Socks (white and black)
- Baby wipes
- Travel-size mouthwash (non-alcoholic)
- Nail clippers
Find out other ways to donate